RHQ has received numerous requests to check service records for service history.

This post is to advise on the process for ex-service personnel record requests.

The Archive Department, at RHQ, only now has a record (register) of service numbers and names to confirm an individual was a Grenadier, which the Association NCO can use to check on an as-and-when basis.

However, all Records of Service (including Officers) were transferred to the Ministry of Defence several years ago and RHQ is no longer able to answer any queries about individuals who have served in the Regiment.

Please send your inquiry to Army Disclosures, Army Personnel Centre, Kentigern House, 65 Brown Street, Glasgow G2 8EX or visit:

  1. Get a Copy of Your Own Service Records
  2. Get a Copy of the Records of Someone Deceased (restrictions apply)

If you have any questions, please telephone the Army Personnel Centre helpdesk on 0345 600 9663.

Individuals – or their attorneys/next of kin – should complete the relevant forms to obtain the information required, which can then be disclosed to them for the relevant purposes.

The same process should be followed if Branches of the Association need to obtain information for specific purposes (e.g. welfare cases), albeit through an internal request system via the Association NCO.

Ancestry and Find My Past are useful for accessing lots of World War 1 records.  You can search for these sites using a browser, or click on the hyperlinks in the previous sentence, but access to these sites requires monthly payments or an annual subscription.  A free trial is sometimes offered but is limited in what you can get returned.

You can also try random browser searches as you can occasionally find information on the Internet.